Who were the Harringtons..?
The Harringtons of Wolfage Manor (Brixworth, Northants) were part of the wider Harrington family who were active within the War of the Cousins – which we know as the Wars of the Roses.
THE HARRINGTONS OF WOLFAGE MANOR
The Harringtons came into possession of Wolfage Manor early in the fifteenth century. Various sources list Sir James Haryngton as the originator of the line of Brixworth, though it is his son Richard who obtains the manor through marriage. Sir James was the second son of Sir Nicholas below, and appears to have been very martial in nature like most of his family.
Sir Nicholas’ first son Sir William (elder brother of Sir James) was a Knight of Garter and was assigned the standard at the battle of Agincourt. Sir James had a distinguished military career in Wales and the Hundred Years War (more on that later) but on his father’s death the Hornby and Farleton estates in Lancashire were assigned to his elder brother William.
This may be why the line under Sir James continues in Northants at the possessions obtained by his son Richard.
Depending on the desired time period of the event we are recreating, the Companye will be lead by one of the following notable Harringtons, whom each in turn became master of this branch of the Harrington family.
SIR NICHOLAS HARRINGTON (born 1344 – died 1404)
Arms: Sable, three lions passant in pale argent.
Knighted by April 1369
For a full biography see:
SIR JAMES HARRINGTON (born c.1376 – died Sep 1417)
Arms: Argent, on a bend Sable three lozenges of the first, each charged with a saltire Gules.
Buried in the friary church of St. Mary the Virgin, Lancaster
In keeping with family tradition, both James and his younger brother, Nicholas, were committed supporters of the house of Lancaster; and both were rewarded, in November 1401, with annuities of £20 and £10 respectively, charged upon the Exchequer. Not only was James present, on 21 July 1403, at the battle of Shrewsbury, but he also had the singular good fortune to capture Archibald, earl of Douglas, an ally of the Percys, whom he sold to Henry IV for a ransom of 900 marks. His valour in the field earned him a further annuity of 100 marks, assigned by the grateful monarch from the profits of pasture land in Blackburnshire. It seems likely, too, that King Henry knighted him after the battle, since a bond which he and Sir Richard Hoghton offered to the clerk of the hanaper some three weeks later describes him as holding this new rank.
Recognizing his military and diplomatic abilities, in 1413 Henry V chose Sir James to deputize for Edward, Duke of York, as warden of the east march; and in this capacity he became involved in the peace negotiations with Scotland which preceded the King’s first invasion of Normandy. In common with other leading members of the north-western gentry, Sir James gave every support to the war-effort, recruiting a personal contingent of 30 archers and ten men-at-arms, whom he led with other troops to Southampton. During the march south, blows were exchanged between his own followers and the men of Salisbury, who had previously shown far less enthusiasm for the idea of a costly overseas campaign; and at least five fatalities occurred in the ensuing fracas. Once in France, Sir James and his men proved equally spirited in the face of the enemy, fighting at Harfleur and Agincourt, and sustaining expenses of almost £192, of which at least £51 remained outstanding two years later. On his return to England, Sir James was appointed to supervise the payment of those Lancashire archers and yeomen who had served immediately under the King at Agincourt, although he himself had to remain content with the jewels offered to him by Henry V as a pledge of future settlement. He none the less took up arms again when hostilities resumed in the summer of 1417; and it is a measure of the high regard which he inspired that his name was one of three considered by the royal council for the office of marshal for the forthcoming expedition. In addition to the force of 400 archers which he was commissioned to raise in Lancashire, Sir James mobilized his own contingent, which this time comprised no less than 84 fully armed combatants. He did not survive to lead this impressive retinue, being fatally wounded in an assault launched just before the fall of Caen in early September.
Extract from full biography here:
SIR RICHARD HARRINGTON (born c.1399 – died 17 Aug 1462)
Arms: Sable, a lion rampant charged at the shoulder with a chessrook Gules.
buried in the friary church of St. Mary the Virgin, Lancaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_Priory)
It is interesting to speculate that the captured Lion Rampant on the new coat of arms represents the capture of the Scottish Earl of Douglas by his father Richard.
It is Sir Richard marries the heiress to the Wolfage Manor estates.
Sir Richard, who was to become controller of the household to Henry VI, spent many years as a soldier, fighting beside his father at Agincourt, and in the end presiding over the surrender of Caen to the French in 1450 some 33 years after Sir James had fallen outside its walls.
SIR WILLIAM HARRINGTON (Born c. 1425 at Wolfage Manor – died 14 Aug 1488 aged ~63)
Marries in 1442 aged approx 17. William marries into the Pilkington family, and Sir Thomas Pilkington marries William’s sister. For more on the Pilkington connection see the write up on Sir Thomas in our Tournament Section.
Sources show William to be in possession of Wolfage Manor by 1461. He would have been aged about 30 at the time of the first battle of St Albans (1455), which traditionally marks the opening of the Wars of the Roses, and died shortly after Henry Tudor became king.
SIR JAMES HARRINGTON (b 1443 – d. 26 June 1497 aged ~54 )
James was knighted at the coronation of Henry VII in 1485 aged ~42. Given there are Harringtons from the northern Farleton line recorded as fighting alongside Richard III at Bosworth (including his second cousin , another James Harrington) and at Stoke Field it is interesting to speculate why James Harrington of Wolfage Manor was knighted by the Tudor King.
Sir James had married Isabella, daughter of Sir Alexander Radcliffe of Ordsall knight, whose wife was Agnes, one of the two daughters of Sir William Harrington of Hornby Castle K.G. (Test. Eborac. part ii. p. 251 Surtees Soc.), by whom he had issue one son and eleven daughters.
This son, called Richard by Vincent, by William in the Harrington Pedigree, on returning from Trafford with his wife, a daughter of that house, perished, along with her, “on the day of his marriage” (Lanc. MSS. vol. xii.; “submersus cum uxore” Suffield Ped. Ibid. vol. iii.) in attempting to for the Mersy near Northenden – a sad and touching incident, recalling to mind Logan’ sweet verses on “The Bracs of Yarrow.” The body of William Harrington was interred at Mobberley, where an altar tomb, with his armed recumbent figure and the date of March 4, 1490, were remaining in 1595.
The Companye historian recently tracked down the will of Sir James Harrington, which you can read here. Great work Mike.
THE BRIXWORTH HARRINGTONS IN THE WIDER CONTEXT OF THE HARRINGTON LINE
From The County families of Lancashire and Cheshire by James Croston 1887
the western borders of rocky Cumberland, where the salt breezes sweep with invigorating freshness from across the tumbling waves, and the sandstone cliffs are washed by the restless main, is the quaint little fishing port of Harrington, or Haverington, as it was written in bygone times; it lies nearly midway between Workington and Whitehaven, and within sight of the lofty headland that runs far out into the deep, and under the shadow of which, more than twelve centuries ago, the saintly Beza and her sisterhood established their little oratory
When Beza sought of yore the Cumbrian Coast,
Tempestuous winds her holy passage cross’d ;
She knelt in prayer the waves their wrath appease ;
And from her vow, well weigh’d in Heaven’s decrees,
Rose where she touch’d the strand the chantry of St. Bees.
Though but a small place, Harrington possesses considerable historic interest, and long before the reign of the first Edward had given name to a race of sturdy warriors, who through several generations played a high game in the most important affairs of the nation as well as of the county, and bore themselves bravely on many a well-fought field the Harringtons of Harrington, in Cumberland, and of Aldingham, Gleaston Castle, Wraysholme Tower, Hornby Castle, Arnside Tower, Farleton, Witherslack, and other places in Lancashire. Allied by marriage with the most powerful houses in the land, and boasting the bluest blood in the shire, it is worthy of note that there never was but one Lord Harrington of the stock, though, as Wright, in his History of Rutlandshire, observes, “there have been nearly allied to or descended from this great family of Harrington three dukes, three marquises, thirty-one earls, seven counts, twenty-nine viscounts, and thirty-seven barons, sixteen of these being Knights of the Garter.”
The first of the name who appears to have owned lands in Lancashire was Robert de Haverington, or Haryngton, of Harrington, who in the latter half of the thirteenth century married Agnes,
daughter of Sir Richard Cancefield, lord of Cancefield, or Cantsfield with Farlton, in the parish of Tunstall, in Lonsdale Hundred, by his wife Alice, or Alina, daughter of William le Fleming, lord of Aldingham, an ancient Saxon manor in Furness, on the western shore of Morecambe Bay, and who in 1273 acquired the lordship of Aldingham, which had come into his hands in right of his wife on the deaths of her two brothers, John and William Arms ff 11 a;,,K to,,,Cancefield, both of whom died in their minority, and while in ward of the abbot of Furness.
THE FLEMINGS OF ALDINGHAM.
The Flemings, from whom these Lancashire estates were inherited, had been in possession of Aldingham almost from the time of the Conquest. One of them, Michael Flandrensis, or le Fleming a military adventurer who came to England out of Flanders is said to have been in the retinue of Duke William of Normandy, and to have taken part in the struggle on the red field of Senlac, where the last of the Saxon kings fell, and Battle Abbey arose to tell the tale of the great victory which formed the turning point in England’s history. When the Conqueror had established his position, he rewarded his faithful follower with a grant of the Manor of Aldingham, of which the Saxon thegn, Ernulf, had previously been dispossessed. Some of the older historians represent Michael le Fleming as being alive in 1153, but this is hardly likely, for if he was old enough to take an active part in the fight at Hastings, in 1066, we can scarcely suppose him to have been living so long afterwards, and the more reasonable conjecture is that there were two or three successive representatives of the stock who bore the same baptismal appellation. In 1126-7, when Stephen, Earl of Boulogne, afterwards King of England, founded the great Abbey of Furness, and bestowed upon its abbot almost regal privileges, the lands of Michael le Fleming, as we learn from the Black Book of the Exchequer, were specially exempted from the exercise of the privileges claimed by the head of that powerful ecclesiastical establishment. A part of his lands Ros and Crimleton lay in the midst of the abbey estates, and these he subsequently exchanged with the fraternity for Bardsea and Urswick, which adjoined his own property. He was a benefactor to the foundation, and in 1153, when John de Cancefield was abbot, bestowed upon it the estate of Fordeboc, or Fordebotle, a place that is supposed to mark the spot at which one of the over-sands routes crossed the freshwater channel running down into Morecambe Bay. Michael le Fleming had three sons William, who inherited Aldingham ; Richard, who married Elizabeth, daughter and eventually heiress of Adam de Urswick, by which union he acquired, with other possessions, the Manor of Coniston, Coniston Hall thenceforward becoming the principal residence of this branch of the family, and so continuing until the reign of Henry IV., when a descendant, Thomas le Fleming, married Isabel, one of the four daughters and co-heirs of Sir John de Lancaster, with whom he acquired the Manor of Rydal ; from this marriage the Flemings of Rydal deduce their descent, and until recent times Rydal and Coniston have vied with each other to fix the family in Westmoreland or Lancashire. Daniel, the third son of Michael Fleming, was a cleric, and is stated in Dr. Keurden’s MSS., in the Chatham Library, to have been presented to the rectory of Urswick by John (Cancefield), abbot of Furness, in whom the advowson was then vested. A daughter, Goditha le Fleming, became the wife of William, son of Edward (de Scales ?), and had lands in Adgarley and Urswick given with her in dower. William, the eldest son of Michael le Fleming, married Alice, daughter of Thomas, son of Gospatric of Galloway, by whom he had a son, Michael, who had to wife Agatha, daughter of Henry, Lord Ravensworth, and who succeeded his father as lord of Aldingham. He does not appear to have got on very comfortably with his religious neighbours, who looked with longing eyes upon his possessions, and coveted mastery of the whole peninsula of Furness. Shortly after the accession of Henry III. we find the abbot paying a fine of 400 marks to the King to have the confirmation of Stephen’s charters, ” and to have the homage and service of Michael le Fleming for all the land which he held of the King for ten pounds yearly.” Precepts were sent to Michael to give the abbot seisin of the said homage and service ; and, moreover, the King granted to the abbot to demand aids from his vassals and freemen to pay the fine in question. Michael le Fleming naturally objected to the lowering of his social status from a tenant in capitc to that of a vassal of the abbot of Furness, and in the following year petitioned the King, who issued a writ to the sheriff to make inquiry into the circumstances, “because,” as the document set forth, ”we have been given to understand by our faithful, that we have been deceived in the concession which we made to the abbot of Furness, of the homage and service of Michael Flandrensis.” The sheriff, after investigation, reported to the King the loss that would accrue to him through the transfer. But the abbot was not to be thwarted in his aims. Ater some delay he succeeded in obtaining a confirmation of the transfer, though, as the Chartulary of Furness states, the acquisition cost him .1,500 altogether, and he had, moreover, to consent to considerable immunities to his powerful feudatory.
Michael le Fleming was succeeded by his son William, who was in turn followed by another Michael, who appears to have died young, having unfortunately been drowned in the Leven about the year 1269, leaving a widow, Alina, but no issue. Among the rights of manorial lordship in those days was the disposal of the hand and fortune of the widows of vassals, and consequently Alina Fleming found herself a chattel at the disposal of the abbot of Furness, who in 1277 had a writ issued to him by the King for the marriage of “Alina, who was the wife of Michael de Furneys” * to Laurence de St. Mor. The manor, however, passed to the next heir of the blood, Alice, sister of Michael le Fleming, who conveyed it in marriage to Sir Richard Cancefield, Knight, lord of Cancefield and Farlton. She survived her husband, and her name occurs during her widowhood as confirming a grant of lands to the Abbey of Cockersand. The issue of the marriage was two sons, John and William, and a daughter, Agnes. John, the eldest son, who succeeded, married, but died childless, when the inheritance fell to his brother William, who was a minor at the time, and a ward of the abbot of Furness, who ‘in right of his wardship entered into possession of the manor. The feeling of hostility entertained by the lords of Aldingham towards the fraternity at Furness, though it had slumbered for a time, was manifested with renewed vigour by the youthful heir to the estates, and it is recorded that William Cancefield, with the aid of several of his friends, summarily ejected the representative of the abbot from the possession of his lands, for which offence the sheriff was directed to seize the manor and deliver it into the custody of the abbot until the offender should be of age, which was accordingly done. He appears to have attained his majority in 1292, in which year he made proof of his title to the various manorial rights. He married, but, like his elder brother, he had no issue, and at his death the estates passed to his sister, then married to Robert de Haryngton, who, in his wife’s right, became lord of Aldingham, and in this way the Haryngtons first connected themselves with Lancashire.
THE HARRINGTONS OF ALDINGHAM.
Robert de Haryngton, who married the sister and heiress of William Cancefield, and in her right became possessed of the Manorof Aldingham and the other lands in Lancashire which had been held by the Flemings from the time of their first settlement in this country in the Conqueror’s reign, had issue two sons John, who ultimately succeeded as heir, and Michael, who, in 8 Edward II. (1314-15), had a grant of freewarren in Alinthwaite the presentAllithwaite in Cartmel parish, which included Wraysholme and the tower of that name, an embattled keep or peel, still existing, though in a ruinous state, which guarded the estuary of the Kent and the northern shore of Morecambe Bay, and which, according to tradition, was erected in the twelfth century by William Mareschall, Earl of Pembroke, on the site of a Danish stronghold. Whether this Michael married and founded a line is not clear, but if he did it must have soon become extinct, for the Tower of Wraysholme eventually passed to the descendants of his elder brother.
In addition to these sons, Robert Haryngton had a daughter, Elizabeth, who married William, son and heir of Edward Neville, of Liversedge. John Haryngton, who succeeded as heir to his father, Robert, was a minor in 1291 ; he had summons to Parliament as a baron from the 1 8th Edward II. (1324-5) to his death, and in 1340 obtained a licence to make a park within his Manor of Aldingham. He died 21 Edward II. (1347), leaving issue by his wife, Juliana, daughter of Richard Berlingham, two sons Robert, his heir, and Sir John Haryngton, who settled at Farleton, in Melling parish, and married Katharine, sole daughter and heir of her father, Sir Adam Bannister, Knight, who was beheaded in 1315, and fourth daughter and co-heir of her mother, Margaret, sister of Sir Robert de Holland, father of the first Lord Holland, founder of the Priory of Up-Holland, in Lancashire, which Katharine was nurse to Philippa, Queen of Edward III. Of the descendants of Sir John Haryngton and his wife Katharine* we shall have occasion to speak hereafter ; meanwhile we may turn to the elder brother, Sir Robert. He married Isabel Loring, and by her had two sons, John and William. John, the eldest, married, but died without surviving issue February nth, 1418. In the year following his death an inquisition was taken, when he was found to have died seised of the Manor of Aldingham, with the advowson of the Church of Aldingham, which he heldsubject to certain services under the Abbot and Convent of the Blessed Mary of Furness. His wife Elizabeth survived him, and, as appears by an entry in the Chancery Rolls of the Duchy of Lancaster, the assignment of dower grants to her, with other premises, the meadow called the Calfecar and Bradyng, towards the rectory of Aldingham, the motegarth described as “quoddam p’m clausum vocat’ le motegarth infra situm man’ii de Aldynham,” and a third part of the Church of Aldingham.
Sir William Haryngton, his brother, who was then twenty-six years of age and upwards, was found to be the next heir. He is believed to have been the builder of the Castle of Gleaston, now a picturesque ivy-mantled ruin, charmingly situated in a valley running seawards, about a mile and a half from the Church of Aldyngham, and which is traditionally said to have been erected after the destruction of the older residence of the family by the encroachment of the sea. Preserved among the Duchy of Lancaster charters is a deed, from Robert, abbot of St. Mary and the Convent of Furness, granting to him and his wife, Margaret, a right of way from and to (lleaston Castle and the Manor of Aldingham over the abbey lands up to Barray, &c. A memento of the two is preserved in the matin bell still hanging in the tower of the neighbouring Parish Church of Urswick, which bears the following inscription in decorated characters :
SJIariiti” SElilchnus be |)arjingtou bomhras be gjbjmcjljam
et bomi.ua Jflargareia uvor rjus,
which must, consequently, be about 450 years old.
Sir William Haryngton must have died some time before the year 1460, for an entry on the Close Roll, under date sth February, 38 Henry VI. (1459-60), shows that Thomas Nicoll, rector of Aldingham, John Haryngton, clerk, Roger Bethum, Esq., and John Forton, were executors of the will of William de Haryngton,
“Nup. D’ni de Aldingham al’s diet. nup. d’ni de Haryngton.”
Lcland, writing in the time of Henry VIII., says (Itinerary, v. viii., p. 94) he “wasslayne bello civili betwixt Kynge Henry the VI. and Edwarde the 4, who’s wife the Lord Hastinges that was behedid by Richard Duke of Gloscester in the Tour of London did marie.”
The only issue was a daughter, Elizabeth, who conveyed the ancestral lands in marriage to William, Lord Bonville, of Chuton, by whom she had a son, named after his father, who succeeded as next heir, and took the title of Lord Haryngton, but did not long enjoy possession of his estates, being numbered among those who fell fighting under the standard of the White Rose at Wakefield Green on that memorable 31st of December, 1460, a day fatal to the House of York, and scarcely less fatal to the victorious Lancastrians, for the barbarities there perpetrated by the Black-faced Clifford were repaid with tenfold vengeance at Towton, a few months later.
GREY OF GROBV.
Lord Haryngton left an only daughter and heiress, Cecilia, wife of Thomas Grey, first Marquis of Dorset, son of John, Lord Grey, of Groby, and Elizabeth Wydville, afterwards Queen of Edward IV. She appears to have been his second wife, and was by him the mother of fourteen children. To him passed the Manors of Aldingham and Mychelland, or Muchland as it is now called, with the other territorial estates of the Haryngtons, and at his death, April 10th, 1501, they descended to the eldest surviving son, Thomas Grey, the second marquis, Knight of the Garter, who had the honour of carrying the Sword of State on the occasion of the meeting of Henry VIII. and Francis I. at Andren ” The Field of the Cloth of Gold” in 1520, with a display of magnificence on the part of the English Court that might challenge any rivalry
To-day the French
All clinquant, all in gold, like heathen gods,
Shone down the English ; and, to-morrow, they
Made Britain, India : every man that stood
Show’d like a mine.
He married Margaret, daughter of Sir Robert Wotton, Knight, and by her had four sons Henry, who inherited the honours and estates; Thomas, who was beheaded in 1555 for his participation in the rising of Sir Thomas Wyat, and died childless ; Leonard, beheaded in 1521, who was also issueles;; and John, who married Mary, daughter of Sir Anthony Brown, K.G., from whom descended the Lords Grey, of Groby, Barons Delamere, of Dunham Massey, and Earls of Stamford and Warrington. Henry Grey, the eldest son, who succeeded as third Marquis of Dorset on the death of his father, October loth, 1530, was twice married, his second wife being the Lady Frances, eldest daughter and co-heir of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, by Mary, Queendowager of France, sister of Henry VIII., in recognition of which alliance he was, by the favour of Edward VI., created Duke of Suffolk. The issue of the marriage was three daughters, the eldest of whom was the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey, wife of the equally unfortunate Lord Guilford Dudley, who, by the intrigues of her father-in-law, the Duke of Northumberland, was proclaimed Queen on the death of Edward VI. the most charming of all usurpers, the unwilling instrument for the ambition of a few. Both she and her husband were beheaded February 12th, 1554 “the Black Monday,” as Strype calls the day the one on the green against the White Tower, and the other on Tower Hill ; and eleven days after the tragedy had been completed Lady Jane’s father, the Duke of Suffolk, was brought to the block. Of the two other daughters, the elder, Lady Catharine Grey, was married on the same day as her sister Jane, to Lord Herbert, eldest son of the time-serving Earl of Pembroke, who afterwards, to suit his political purposes, repudiated her, and obtained a divorce. After this short-lived and perhaps uncompleted union was dissolved, the high-born but unhappy lady remained in neglect and obscurity until 1560, when she was secretly united in marriage with Edward Seymour, son of the “Protector “‘ Somerset, who Elizabeth had created Baron Beauchamp and Earl of Hertford. Her degree of relationship to the Queen was not so near as to render her marriage without the royal consent illegal, but, by a stretch of authority familiar to the Tudors, she was, when her pregnancy was discovered, sent prisoner to the Tower, and her husband committed there also as the seducer of a maiden of the royal blood, and the child of which she was delivered, which died in infancy, was declared to be illegitimate. The birth of a second child, the fruit of stolen meetings between the captive pair, which Warner, the lieutenant of the Tower, had connived at, aggravated in the jealous eyes of Elizabeth their common guilt. The ill-starred lady died a prisoner in the Tower, January, 1567, and her husband remained in confinement there for nine years, and was sentenced in the Star Chamber to a fine of ,15,000. The second child, named after his father, survived and had a son, Sir William Seymour, who succeeded his grandfather as Earl of Hertford and Baron Beauchamp. With the titles he seems also to have inherited the weaknesses of his progenitor, for in the reign of James I. he incurred the royal displeasure by marrying without the sovereign’s consent the Lady Arabella Stuart, first cousin to the King, and was in consequence obliged to fly the kingdom, while the unfortunate lady was committed prisoner to the Tower, where she died September 27, 1615. In the succeeding reign the earl returned to England, and, distinguishing himself in the Civil Wars on the Royalist side, was received into the favour of Charles, and restored to the Dukedom of Somerset. He married for his second wife the Lady Erances Devereux, eldest daughter of the accomplished but ill-fated Earl of Essex, and from this union descends the present Duke of Somerset. The youngest daughter of Henry, third Marquis of Dorset, was the Lady Mary Grey. She married Martin Keys, a Kentish squire, who held the office of sergeant-porter to Queen Elizabeth, but died childless in 1578. By the attainder of the Marquis of Dorset, in 1554, the estates in Lancashire, which he had inherited from the senior line of the Haryngtons, became forfeited to the Crown, and parts were dismembered by James I. and Charles I.
HARRINGTON OF FARLETON.
As previously stated, the senior line of the Haryngtons failed in the male descent on the death of Sir William (circa 1460), whose only daughter and heiress married Lord Bonville, of Chuton, the name being thenceforward continued by the descendants of Sir John Haryngton, who settled at Farleton, in Melling, and married Katharine, daughter of Sir Adam Bannister, the issue of the marriage being a son, Nicholas Haryngton, who, by his wife, Isabella, daughter of Sir William English, Knight, had three sons William, who succeeded as heir ; James, who married Ellen, daughter of Thomas de Urswick, and founded the lines of Haryngton, of Wolfage and Brixworth, in Northamptonshire, of whom anon ; anil Nicholas, who married Margaret, daughter and heir of Thomas Lathom, lord of Huyton, near 1′rescot, and in her right became lord of Huyton.
In addition to the three sons, Nicholas Haryngton had a daughter, Elizabeth, who became the wife of the second Sir John Stanley, of the great House of Lathom, and was grandmother of the famous Lord Stanley who placed the crown upon the head of the victorious Henry of Richmond, on the field of Bosworth. William Haryngton, who succeeded to the Farleton estates on the death of his father, early distinguished himself in arms ; he became a Knight of the Garter, and shared in the glories of Agincourt on that ever-memorable St. Crispin’s Day, 1415, when he served as standard-bearer. Dr. Whitaker says that he fell mortally wounded in the battle, but in this the learned historian is in error, for in 1419 he was with the English army before Rouen, taking part in the siege, during which he was severely wounded, and was doubtless present at the surrender of the city, when, as the bard describes:
The viii day the trouthe to telle
In the fest of Sir Wolstan that day befelle,
And this was upon a Thorisday,
Oure Kynge thanne in good aray,
Full rialliche in his estate,
As a conqueror there he sate,
With ynne an hous of charite,
To resseyve the keye of that cite,
Mounsr. Guy the Botillere,
And burgesses of that cite in fere,
To the Kynge the keyes they brought,
And of legeance hym besought.
In a pane of glass in one of the windows at Wraysholme Tower the initials of this William Harrington are represented Q (theequivalent of \V) H with the frets or knots of the Harringtons above and below.
Sir William married Margaret, daughter of Sir William Neville, K.(l., lord of the Manor and Castle of Hornby, the head of a younger branch of the Nevilles of Raby, afterwards Earls of Westmoreland. This lady became co-heir and was next in succession to her niece, Margaret Neville, wife of Thomas Beaufort, Duke of Exeter ; the Honor of Hornby, on the death of the duke, who outlived his wife, becoming vested in Sir William Haryngton in right of his wife, and Sir John l.angton, cousin of Lady Haryngton. Subsequently (1433) a deed of partition was executed whereby Hornby became the property of the Haryngtons. Sir William Haryngton died in 1450, and his wife Margaret appears to have deceased about the same time. They left issue one son, Sir Thomas Haryngton, and four daughters, of whom Margaret, the eldest, was, on the i2th November, 13 Henry IV. (1411), and while yet an infant, contracted in marriage by her father to John, son and heir apparent of Sir William Fitz John le Boteler, eleventh baron of Warrington, then a child of nine years, the young couple having certain estates of the Botelers in Wiltshire, Essex, and Bedfordshire bestowed upon them as a marriage portion. Agnes, the second daughter, became the wife of Alexander Radcliffe, of Ordsall ; she was ancestress of the long and knightly line of Radcliffe of Ordsall, now represented by Charles James Radclyffe, of Foxdenton and Hyde, Esquire, and, surviving her husband, died in 1490. Margaret, another daughter, married Richard Bradhull, or Braddyll, of Bradhull and Brockholes, in Lancashire ; and Ellen, the youngest became the wife of Sir Richard Molyneux, of Sefton.
HARRINGTON OF HORNBY.
From the time of the partition of the Neville estates, in 1433, the fortified stronghold of Hornby, which from its rocky aerie commands the whole valley of the Lune, became the principal residence of the Haryngtons, who kept up a state and dignity worthy of its former owners, the Montbegons, the Lungvillers, and the Nevilles. In the long and bloody struggle between the rival Houses of York
and Lancaster, which destroyed the flower of the English nobility and impoverished and well-nigh exhausted the country, the Haryngtons of Hornby and Farleton plucked the maiden blossom and cast in their lot on the side of the White Rose. Sir William Haryngton, the hero of Agincourt and Rouen, was then sleeping his last sleep, and his son, Sir Thomas, had succeeded to the lordship of Hornby as well as of Farleton. He had married in his father’s lifetime Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas, son of Edmunde de Dacre, of Halton, near Lancaster, lord of Dacre, in Cumberland, and he had then a son, Sir John Haryngton, who had arrived at man’s estate and had married Matilda, a daughter of Thomas, Lord Clifford.
In 1460, when Margaret of Anjou, Henry’s Queen, refused to abide by the compromise the ”meek usurper ” had made, which set aside the claim of her son to the Crown, she took up arms, summoned the supporters of the Lancastrian cause, and marched northwards. On hearing of the movement, Sir Thomas Haryngton called out his retainers and dependents, and he and his son, Sir John, with their kinsman, Lord Haryngton, of Aldingham, at the head of the gallant Lancashire lads, set out to join the Yorkist forces. The rival factions met on Wakefield Green on the 3ist December, when the army of the White Rose was suddenly attacked by a force greatly exceeding it in numbers, and completely routed.
In the struggle Sir Thomas Haryngton was mortally wounded, and died next day ; his son, Sir John, fell gallantly fighting by his side ; and his relative, William, Lord Haryngton, shared the same fate. Drayton, in his Queen Margaret, and Shakespeare as well, have told of this butcher-work that was done on that fatal day, and how the “victorious queene,” the haughty Margaret of Anjou, in the insolence of her short-lived triumph, gave the order to strike off the head of Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, and place it on the highest turret of the Micklegate Bar-
“Off with his head, and set it on York gates, So York may overlook the town of York.”
Dr. Whitaker records that when the sad news reached Hornby that Sir Thomas Haryngton and his son, Sir John, had both fallen in that bloody encounter, the widow of Sir Thomas withdrew to her daughter for consolation; but her son’s widow a sister of the Blackfaced Clifford, who, according to tradition, in the madness of party rage had committed such horrible barbarities upon the battlefield partaking, as it would seem, her brother’s callous nature, remained at home, and expressed herself as “at leisure to attend to business.” The other sons of Sir Thomas Haryngton the younger brothers of Sir John were Sir James Haryngton, of Brierley, in Yorkshire, who had Farleton, Himsworth, and other properties settled upon him by his father. He was a staunch Yorkist, and was the means of discovering the ill-fated Henry VI. in his hiding place at Waddington Hall, in Mitton-Magna, on the Yorkshire border. He fought on the side of King Richard at Bosworth, and immediately on the accession of Henry VII., when the attainders were reversed, his estates were confiscated; but his warlike spirit was not subdued, for two years later he was involved in the rising under the pretender, Lambert Simnel. He married Joan, daughter of John Neville, of Oversley, in Warwickshire, and by her had a son, John Haryngton, who, according to popular belief, was poisoned while a prisoner at Temple Bar, through the influence of Sir Edward Stanley, who had married his cousin, and in this way, as it was said, sought to prevent his succession to the Hornby estates. Dr. Whitaker concurs in the belief, but it must be confessed that there is a good deal in the documentary evidence extant to refute the idea.
The other son, Sir Robert Haryngton, was also a Yorkist ; he fought at Bosworth, and, with his brother, was attainted. He married Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of William Balderstone, and by her had, in addition to a daughter, Jane, who became the wife of Edmund Talbot, of Bashall, who, with his father, Thomas Talbot, and his brothers Thomas and William, assisted in the betrayal of Henry VI., and received grants of annuities for their perfidy, a son, James Haryngton, who took orders. He was Rector of Badsworth and Dean of York (January 29, 1508) ; in 1488 he is found holding half the Manor of Balderston, inherited from his mother, which he sold to Edmund Dudley, who was attainted of high treason, April 8th, 1510. He died December, 1512, and in him the younger line terminated.
Sir John Haryngton, who fell at Wakefield, left two daughters, his co-heiresses, Anne and Elizabeth, who at the time of his death were aged respectively nine and eight years. In their minority their paternal uncle, Sir James Haryngton, took forcible possession of Hornby, and claimed to be the lawful owner, but on an appeal to the Court of Chancery he was dispossessed and committed to the Fleet, with an accomplice who had assisted in carrying out his designs, when the wardship of the two young heiresses, with the custody of their inheritance and their disposal in marriage, was granted to the King’s favourite, Thomas, Lord Stanley, who, with considerate regard for the temporal interests of his own family, gave the hand of the eldest, Anne, in marriage to his third son, Sir Edward Stanley, who was afterwards ennobled by the title of Lord Monteagle for his deeds at Flodden Field, where he so gallantly led the Lancashire and Cheshire bowmen in the memorable charge which decided the fate of the battle a charge that Scott has enshrined in imperishable verse. The younger heiress, Elizabeth, Lord Stanley bestowed upon his nephew, John Stanley, of Melling, base son of Sir John Stanley, of Wever, and first of the name of Alderley, Sir Thomas’s brother. The only issue of the first-named marriage was a child that is said to have been born dead. The issue of Sir John Stanley and Elizabeth, the younger of the two co-heiresses, was three daughters Anne, who married John Swyft, and released lands of her inheritance in Hornby to Lord Monteagle, 22 Henry VIII. (1530-1) ; Margaret, who became the wife of Thomas Grimshaw, of Clayton ; and Joan, who married Thomas, son of Sir Henry Halsall, by whom she had a son, Thomas, and two daughters, Jane and Maude.
The 31st of December, 1460, was a day fatal to the fortunes of the House of York, and one no less fatal to the Lancashire Haryngtons. When the sun went down upon the scene of carnage on Wakefield Green, Sir Thomas Haryngton, of Hornby, and his son, Sir John, were in their death agonies, and with them terminated the Hornby line, the name being thenceforward continued by the descendants of Sir James and Nicholas Haryngton, two younger brothers of Sir William, who married the heiress of the Nevilles, the first-named being the founder of the line of Haryngton, of Wolfage and Brixworth, in Northamptonshire, and the latter the progenitor of the Haryngtons, lords of Huyton, in West Derby Hundred.
Sir lames Haryngton inherited the martial spirit of his ancestors, and had his full share of war and military service. In 1403 he shared in the great but dearly-bought victory at Hateley Field, which settled the usurper Henry firmly upon the throne, and where Falstaff, as he declared, “fought a long hour by Shrewsbury clock.” When the impetuous Hotspur fell, pierced through the brain by an arrow, his followers became panic-stricken, and the straggling Welsh who had joined in the fight fled to their mountain fastnesses ; in the retreat the Earl of Douglas, who had led the Scottish contingent, fell from a hill, when he was captured by Sir James Haryngton, a service for which he received from Henry IV. a pension of 100 marks a year. When not engaged in martial enterprises he appears to have taken an active part in the business of his county, and his name occasionally crops up in the capacity of a justice of the peace, adjusting the differences and settling the quarrels which were then of by no means uncommon occurrence among acred gentlemen. It has been stated that Sir James was one of the loyal Lancashire knights who sailed with Henry V. in the expedition to obtain the crown of France, and that he shared in the victory at Agincourt on that memorable St. Crispin’s Day, 1415 ; but this is an error. He engaged himself to join in the expedition, and Mr. Beamont states* that his original indenture of military service is still preserved among the muniments of Lord Lilford; but the same authority adds that just as the fleet was sailing from Southampton he and one of his men-at-arms received the King’s commands to remain at home for the security of the northern parts of the kingdom.
He married Ellen, daughter of Thomas de Urswick, descended from the Urswicks of Urswick, in Aldingham, a family which long retained considerable rank in the county, and in more than one generation held the shrievalty, the most distinguished of them being the Christopher Urswick whom Shakespeare has immortalised the “faithful, unambitious, and disinterested chaplain of Henry VII.,” as he had been previously of his mother, Margaret, Countess of Richmond, and who was eleven times sent on embassies to foreign kings on behalf of his country.
The issue of this union was a son, Sir Richard Haryngton, who added considerably to the territorial possessions of his house by a marriage he contracted with Elizabeth, the daughter and heiress of Sir William Bradshagh, of Blackrod and Westleigh. This lady was only twelve years of age at the time of her father’s death in October, 1415, and her husband succeeded jure tixoris to the Blackrod and Westleigh estates. These possessions were considerably augmented when, after the death of her grandmother, Margaret, heiress of Sir John de Verdon, in 1437, she succeeded as remainder after her uncles in half-blood, John Edmund and Robert de Pilkington, to the Manors of Brixworth, in Northamptonshire, and Brissingham, in Norfolk.
Sir Richard Haryngton must have died about the year 1466 or 1467, his inquisition post-mortem having been taken 7 Edward IV. He left issue, in addition to a son William, his heir, a daughter Margaret, who in 1422 married her second cousin, Sir Thomas Pilkington, a licence having been first obtained in consequence of the degree of relationship. Sir Thomas was Sheriff of Lancashire at various times between 1463 and 1482 ; he fought on the side of Richard III. at Bosworth in 1485, and two years later joined the insurgents and their foreign auxiliaries, who, led by the brave Martin Swartz, had landed on the Lancashire coast, near Ulverston, and with them marched into Lincolnshire, where, in the battle of Stoke Field, near Newark, he was slain. His Lancashire estates, including the Manors of Pilkington, Bury, and Cheetham, were forfeited and granted by the Crown to the Earl of Derby ; only the settled lands which had descended from the Yerdons passing to his son, Roger Pilkington, the last male representative of the Pilkingtons of Pilkington, who married Alice, daughter of Sir John Savage, and at his death, which occurred before 1539 (according to Vincent in 1502), left issue five daughters
Margaret, wife of Thomas Pudsey;
Katharine, wife of Thomas Arderne ;
Alice, wife of Edward Saltmarsh ;
Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Huntley ;
Margery, wife of Henry Pudsey;
and Joan,wife of ]ohn Daniel, of Daresbury.
Sir William Haryngton, who succeeded as heir to his father, Sir Richard, married his kinswoman, Elizabeth, daughter of Edmund and sister of Sir Thomas Pilkington, the licence, on account of consanguinity, being dated in the same year as that granted to his sister, 1422. He died August 12, 3 Henry VII., and was succeeded by his only son, Sir James Haryngton, who died June 26, 1497, leaving a widow, Isabella, daughter of Sir Alexander Radcliffe, of Ordsall, who survived him several years, her death occurring June 20, 1518, and ten daughters, all of whom, as appears by his inq. p.m., taken igth November, 14 Henry VII., were then of full age viz.,
Agnes, wife of Sir Thomas Assheton, of Ashton-under-Lyne ;
Elizabeth, wife of John Lumley, of Ryssheton ;
Alicia (miscalled Ellen in some of the pedigrees), wife of Ralph Standish, of Standish ;
Alianora, wife of John Leycester, of Toft ;
Margaret, wife of Christopher Hulton, of Farnworth ;
Isabella, wifeof John Tresham ;
Johanna, wife of Edmund Assheton, of Chadderton ;
Ann, second wife of Sir William Stanley, of Hooton, Knight ;
Clemence, wife of Sir Henry Norreys, of Speke (marriage covenant dated July 8th, 1500), by whom she had a son, Sir William Norreys, who came in for a moiety of the Manor of Blackrod on the division of Sir James Haryngton’s estates, and a daughter Ann,who married Percival Haryngton, of Huyton, of whom anon :
And Katharine, wife (i) of Adam, eldest son and heir of Roger Huhon, of the Park, and (2) of William Mirfyld.
In addition to these ten daughters, Sir James Haryngton had an only son, William, who pre-deceased him. He married a daughter of (Edmund ?) Trafford, of Trafford, and, as stated in our account of that family, was drowned, with his wife, on his marriage day, while attempting to cross the Mersey at Northenden ferry, March 4th, 1490. His body was recovered and buried at Mobberley, and thus, through failure of surviving male issue, terminated the line of Haryngton, of Westleigh, Wolfage, and Brixworth.
HARRINGTON OF HUYTON.
For a continuation of the stock we must now turn to the descendants of Nicholas, younger brother of the Sir James Haryngton who captured Earl Douglas at Hateley Field. This Nicholas married Margaret, daughter and heiress of Thomas Lathom, lord of Huyton, and in her right became possessed of that manor ; the issue of the marriage being, in addition to a daughter, who became the wife of Nicholas Eltonhead, of Eltonhead, a son John, who succeeded, and was father of Nicholas Haryngton. This Nicholas had two sons, Hamo, or Hamond Haryngton, who married, 3 Henry VII. (1487-8), Margaret, daughter of Ralph Eccleston, and is probably identical with the Hamnet Haryngton named in the will of John Ogle, of Prescot, May 5, 1525 who succeeded, but died childless, and Richard, who inherited the Huyton estates as next heir to his brother. He married, and was in turn succeeded by Percival, his son and heir, who, sometime after i6th Henry VIIL, married his kinswoman Ann, only daughter of Henry Norris, of Speke, by his wife Clemence, one of the daughters and co-heirs of Sir James Haryngton, of Wolfage, the issue being a son, John Haryngton, who had to wife Alice, daughter of Thomas Torbock, and by her was father of Percival, eldest son and heir, who married Ursula, daughter and co-heir of (Henry ?) Twyford, of Kenwick, in Shropshire. The issue of the union was three sons and two daughters John, who succeeded ; William, who married at Huyton, in 1599, Anna Amonnde, and died April, 1608; Henry, who was buried at Huyton, December 29, 16 1 1, his widow, Alicia, being buried there also, on the 26th October in the succeeding year ; Mary ; and Ann, who became the wife of Roger Breres, of Walton. John Haryngton, who succeeded as heir, was living in 1613. He married Margaret, daughter of Robert Ireland,* of Halewood, in Childwall parish, and died in 1653, having had issue Robert, who married Ann, daughter of Thomas Woolfall, of Woolfall, in Huyton parish, but who pre-deceased him ; John and Percival, who both died unmarried ; Margaret, who became the wife of Robert Molyneux, of The Wood ; Mary, who died unmarried ; and Elizabeth, wife of Cuthbert Ogle, of Whiston. Robert Haryngton, who married the daughter of Thomas Woolfall, died in the lifetime of his father, leaving, with other issue, a son, who succeeded to the Huyton property as next heir to his grandfather in 1653, he being then twenty-six years of age. The other children of Robert Haryngton were two sons, William and Robert, both of whom, as appears by the visitation, were living in 1664; Mary; Margaret, who was at the date named married to John Cooke, of Little Woolton, county Lancashire, probably identical with the John Cooke who in 1642 was named as one of the appraisers of the goods of Hugh Rigby, of The Hutt ; and Elizabeth, who became the wife of Richard Molyneux, of New Hall, of whom anon. John Haryngton, the eldest son, who succeeded to Huyton, married Ann, daughter of Edward Ireland, of Lidiate, and by her had a son, John Haryngton, born in 1656, the last of the family named in the Visitation of 1664. This John would seem to have died in the lifetime of his father, leaving a younger brother Charles as next heir, for in 1708 John Haryngton and Charles Haryngton, gentleman, his son, obtained an Act of Parliament to enable them to settle their estates, and to dispose of some of them for the payment of their debts. The Manor of Huyton was vested in Charles, Duke of Shrewsbury, the Hon. Richard Molyneux, son and heir of William, Viscount Molyneux, Henry Fleetwood, of Penwortham, and others, on the marriage of Charles Haryngton with Mary, daughter of John Arden, of Upton Warren, county Worcester. This lady, as would seem, having pre-deccased him, he again entered the marriage state, his second wife being Mary, the eldest of the eight daughters of Sir William Stanley, of Hooton and Storeton, the representative of the parent stock of the great House of Stanley ; but there does not appear to have been any surviving issue of either marriage, for on the death of Charles Haryngton the line terminated in the male descent, the Haryngton property passing to Elizabeth, the youngest sister of John Haryngton the elder, who, as before stated, married Richard Molyneux, of New Hall, and thus ended a family which for many generations had held high rank in the county, and which by descent or near alliance by collaterals could boast a connection with nearly half the nobility of the kingdom.
MOLYNEUX OF HUVTON.
It may not be out of place to trace the descent of the Manor of Huyton from the time when it passed into the possession of the Molyneuxs. Sir Richard Molyneux, of Sefton, who was knighted at the coronation of Queen Mary, and who served the office of sheriff in 1556 and 1558, had by his first wife, Eleanor, daughter of Sir Alexander Radcliffe, of Ordsall, Knight, with other issue, a son, John Molyneux, who married Ann, daughter of Richard Radcliffe, of Langley, and by her had two sons Richard, his heir, and Thomas, and four daughters Eleanor, Bridget, Elizabeth, and Frances. Richard Molyneux, the eldest son, who resided at New Hall, married (i) Jane, daughter of Sir Gilbert Ireland, of The Hutt, who bore him four sons John, Richard, Edward, William and two daughters Ann and Jane. He married (secondly) Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Molyneux, of Hawkley, widow of Lawrence Bryers, or Breres, of Walton, county Lancashire, by whom he had Frances, who tecame the wife of Thomas Walshe, of Aughton, and Catharine, wife of John Bolton, of West Derby. Richard Molyneux died May 22, 1633, and was succeeded by the eldest son of his first marriage, John, who was buried at Sefton, March 3rd, 1 648. He had to wife Margaret, daughter of John Whalley, who survived him for the long period of forty-five years. She was buried at Sefton, June 5, 1693 her will, which bears date June 14, 1690,and in which she is described as of Alt Grange, being proved at Chester, August 5th, 1693. The issue of the marriage was a son Richard, who inherited the New Hall estates, and, as already stated, married Elizabeth Haryngton, who eventually became heir to her brother John, thus uniting the New Hall and Huyton properties ; Edward, who died in 1704, his effects being administered to by his nephew Richard, nth of March in that year; Jane, who married John Johnson, of Crosby ; Mary, born in 1632, wife of Robert, son of Roger Breres, of Walton ; Margery, Margaret, and Katharine. Richard Molyneux, who married the heiress of the Haryngtons, was aged thirty-one at the Visitation in 1665. He died in 1686, and was buried at Sefton, May 7, his will, which bears date May 1 6, 1685, being proved at Chester, July 13, 1686. His wife Elizabeth survived him, and was living in 1721. The children of the marriage were John, born in 1660, who, according to a note obligingly communicated to the writer by the present representative of the family, was baptised by Mr. Parr, a secular priest. He was at the English College at Rome from October 7th, 1679, to October 8th, 1681, and was commonly known by his mother’s name of Haryngton. He may not unlikely be identified with the “John Mollineux, of West Derby, gent.,” who was buried at Sefton, January 28th, 1692. Richard Molyneux, the second son, of Alt Grange, within Ince-Blundell, became heir to his brother John, and, as previously stated, administered to his uncle Edward’s effects in 1704. The other issue of the marriage was a daughter, Ann. Richard Molyneux, who succeeded as heir, married Margery daughter of Richard Tickell, of Ince-Blundell, the marriage settlement bearing date August isth, 1696. He died in 1712, and was buried at Sefton, January 291)1 ; his will, which must have been made when he was in extremis, bearing date January 26th, 1712-13 the day before his decease. His widow did not long survive him, her death occurring December 23, 1714, the register of Sefton recording her burial there December 25th. The son, Richard Molyneux, the third in direct succession of the same baptismal name, who succeeded, married (circa 1720) Margaret, sister of Bryan Hawarden, of Lee (Ireen, county Lancaster, and by her had issue an only son, also named Richard, baptized at Sefton, January 27, 1731, and buried there March 3rd, 1734; the remaining issue of the marriage being a daughter, Frances, sole heir, who on the 26th October, 1751, being then of the age of eighteen, conveyed the estates in marriage to Thomas Seel, of Liverpool, who died January 21, 1802, and was buried at Huyton, when they passed by his eldest daughter and co-heir, Frances, to her husband, Thomas Unsworth, of Maghull Hall, to whom she was married at Liverpool, August 25th, 1791.
Thomas Unsworth died January 6th, 1815, and was buried at Maghull, but his widow survived him more than a quarter of a century. She was buried at Maghull, Septemter 3oth, 1841, at the advanced age of eighty-six, the property descending to her eldest son, Thomas Molyneux-Seel, of Maghull, and afterwards of Huyton Hey, who was born at Liverpool, July i, 1792. By royal licence, dated i2th January, 1815, he and his issue were authorised to take the surname of Molyneux-Seel, and to bear the arms of those two families, in accordance with the will of Thomas Seel, dated 3oth May, 1 80 1. He married at Ghent, October i, 1823, Agnes Mary, third daughter of Sir Richard Bedingfeld, of Oxborough, in Norfolk, Baronet, who died at Leamington, September 7, 1870. He survived her, and died at Huyton Hey, January 16, 1881, leaving, with other issue, a son, Edmund Richard Thomas Molyneux-Seel, born 5th August, 1824, who succeeded, and married, November 16, 1847, the Countesse Anna Maria, fourth daughter of the late Duke of Lousada y Lousada. Mr. Molyneux-Seel, who has, with other issue, a son, Edmund Haryngton Molyneux-Seel, his heir, is the present Lord of the Manor of Huyton, and in himself represents the Seels, the Molyneuxs, and the great feudal House of Haryngton.